Thursday 17 March 2011

Intertextuality, Memes and Tropes.

Intertextuality is the way that the media deliberately or accidently references other texts within their own. Kerrang! often does this, I'll look in my Kerrang!s tonight and find an example.
I found an example: Kerrang! compared My Chemical Romance's album "Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys" to Green Day's album, "American Idiot". They said it was "MCR's American Idiot". I was thinking I could include intertextuality in my magazine articles.

A meme is an element or idea that its transmitted or evolves in a culture. It is similar to a stereotype. In music, different fashion styles will be the meme. For example, for metal listeners, you'd expect them to have piercings and tattoos. I'm going to include original images of Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold because he has piercings and tattoos.


A trope is a recurring element in art or culture. An example of this is in films. In fantasy films, medieval is a trope of this genre. For example, Harry Potter is a fantasy film, yet its locations are all based around medieval settings. Sometimes tropes are rewritten, this is called revisionism. Tropes generally endure because the audience prefer them, they are conventional. In my experience, it is conventional to use black on the OFC of a metal magazine, for example, in all my back issues of Kerrang!, black is the dominant colour used. I've posted before that I'm going to use the conventional colours of a rock/metal magazine (black, yellow and red), this research just inforced this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment